This recipe is inspired by the popular dynamite sushi roll. We use some of the same elements to create something that’s not only gorgeous and delicious, but is also one of the easiest, most foolproof ways to cook seafood ever. So, if you enjoy seafood but are afraid to cook it, this is the technique for you.
- 1 cup uncooked medium-grain white rice (such as Calrose variety)
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons bonito flakes
- 1 sheet nori (dried seaweed), cut into thin strips
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 cup bay scallops
- 12 peeled and deveined large shrimp, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 dash Sriracha hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 pinch toasted sesame seeds, or to taste
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 Rinse rice and drain. Add rice to a pot and pour in water. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 2 While rice cooks, combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt together in a small bowl until dissolved. Set aside.
- 3 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a shallow 2-quart baking dish with some sesame oil.
- 4 Uncover rice and drizzle over seasoned vinegar mixture. Use a fork to break up and fluff rice. Transfer rice into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle over toasted sesame seeds, bonito flakes, and nori; use a fork to gently stir into the rice.
- 5 Mix mayonnaise, soy sauce, ½ teaspoon sesame oil, and Sriracha for topping together in a bowl and stir in scallops and shrimp. Spread over rice, and sprinkle cayenne over the top.
- 6 Bake in the center of the preheated oven until the seafood is just cooked through (or 95% cooked through), about 20 minutes. Turn oven to a high broil setting, and brown the top, 1 to 2 minutes. Garnish the top with more Sriracha, toasted sesame seeds, and green onions before serving.
- Calories 591.7
- Carbohydrate 46 g
- Cholesterol 128.4 mg
- Fat 32.8 g
- Fiber 1.5 g
- Protein 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Sodium 1433.8 mg