This refreshingly tangy dessert pie is prepared in a 9-inch springform pan. The delicate crust is sweetened with lemon drops, and the light lemony filling is topped with whipping cream sprinkled with lemon drop sugar.
- 55 vanilla wafers, crushed
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 20 lemon drop candies, finely crushed, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 teaspoons minced lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 To prepare the crust, combine the crushed vanilla wafers with the melted butter and 1/4 cup of the finely crushed candy (save the remainder for use as a decoration). Mix well, then press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Refrigerate while proceeding with the recipe.
- 2 Whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons of sugar until smooth, then set aside. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle in the cream of tartar and continue whipping until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3/4 cups of sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks.
- 3 Fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites, then gently fold in the whipped cream until no streaks remain. Spoon this mixture into the chilled crust, and place into the freezer.
- 4 Whip the remaining 1/2 cup of whipping cream until it starts to thicken, then gradually add 3 tablespoons of light corn syrup, and continue beating until stiff. Using a pastry bag, pipe the whipped cream onto the mousse in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle the top with the reserved crushed lemon drop candy. Freeze for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Calories 325.8
- Carbohydrate 34 g
- Cholesterol 103.4 mg
- Fat 20.4 g
- Fiber 0.5 g
- Protein 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11 g
- Sodium 124.9 mg
- Sugar 14.6 g