Serve this easy rice and bean casserole topped with avocado and sour cream or use as a burrito filler. Inspired by Green Valley Kitchen’s Rice and Black Bean Casserole.
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- ½ medium lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon oil, or to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried, minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 Combine water, rice, and bouillon cubes in a wide, shallow pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring a few times early on to dissolve bouillon cubes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Add lime juice and fluff rice with a fork.
- 2 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 3 Heat oil in a wide, shallow, oven-safe pan (like a paella pan) over medium heat; stir in onion and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and chili powder; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rice, pinto beans, salsa, and carrots; mix well. Stir in 1 cup Cheddar cheese until well mixed.
- 4 Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Top with remaining Cheddar and bake until bubbly, about 5 minutes more.
- Calories 365.7
- Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Cholesterol 26.8 mg
- Fat 13.2 g
- Fiber 5.1 g
- Protein 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7 g
- Sodium 496.4 mg
- Sugar 3.2 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.