- Published Aug 14th
- Ready In55m
A classic favorite — chicken and dumplings. The secret to dumplings is cook them COVERED and not to cheat by peeking!
Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings for 4 servings:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Cooking Instructions
- Ready In55m
To cook Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings, you need about 30 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings is about 25 minutes , and you can serve your Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings within 55 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings easily:
- 1 Melt butter in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes, then stir in chicken and saute until browned, about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in broth, vegetables, sage and thyme; mix all together and let simmer over medium heat while preparing the dumplings.
- 2 In a medium bowl, mix flour and parsley together. Add shortening and stir mixture into a coarse, mealy dough. Stir in buttermilk, a little bit at a time, until dough holds together and is soft but firm. (If needed, add up to 2 tablespoons more buttermilk).
- 3 Bring chicken mixture to a boil over medium high heat and drop round spoonfuls of dumpling mixture on top (do not let dumplings touch each other). Reduce heat to low, cover pot and let simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
Per Serving: 555 calories; 24.6 grams of fat; 52.1 grams of carbohydrates; 31.3 grams of protein; 95 milligrams of cholesterol; 816 milligrams of sodium.