This recipe for baked tofu is tossed in cornstarch and ground chipotle chile pepper to create a spicy crust on the outside. While the tofu bakes, a simple sweet and spicy sauce of ginger and apricot is made to help compliment the heat. Serve it as an appetizer or as a quick healthy lunch.
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground dried chipotle pepper
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ⅓ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 Slice tofu into thirds lengthwise so you have 3 even slabs. Stack the slabs on top of each other and slice through them lengthwise to make 3 even columns, then slice across to make 5 even rows.
- 2 Lay tofu evenly on a plate lined with a couple of sheets of paper towels. Layer more paper towel on top of the tofu and place another plate on top of the stack. Press out as much water as possible and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- 3 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 4 Transfer pressed tofu to a mixing bowl and drizzle with sesame oil. Lightly toss to combine. Sprinkle with cornstarch and ground chipotle chile pepper. Toss tofu until it is evenly coated with cornstarch and arrange in one layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- 5 Bake tofu in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Flip and continue baking until tofu is crisp, about 10 minutes more. Transfer tofu to a wire rack using a spatula; cool.
- 6 While tofu bakes, combine apricot preserves, vegetable broth, ginger paste, garlic, and red pepper in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat and stir sauce until warmed and well combined, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve tofu with warm dipping sauce.
- Calories 581
- Carbohydrate 70 g
- Fat 27.4 g
- Fiber 2.4 g
- Protein 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Sodium 82.3 mg
- Sugar 36.1 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.