This easy taco soup is a quick meal alternative to Taco Tuesdays or a last-minute potluck invite. Serve with desired taco toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, lime wedges, and Fritos® corn chips. The soup freezes and reheats very well. After adding the tomato juice, cool and freeze. Continue on with the recipe once your soup has thawed and been brought to a simmer.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (1 ounce) packets taco seasoning mix (such as La Tiara®)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as RO*TEL®)
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced, or to taste
- 1 large lime, halved
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Heat a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard grease.
- 2 Add onion and garlic. Cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add taco seasoning; cook and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes. Stir in tomato juice and scrape any browned bits of food off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- 3 Bring to a simmer; add cilantro and squeeze juice from lime halves into the pot. Simmer until flavors have melded, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Calories 293.1
- Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Cholesterol 54.9 mg
- Fat 12.9 g
- Fiber 4.9 g
- Protein 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Sodium 1124.7 mg
- Sugar 5.3 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.