- Published Oct 1st
- Ready In1h 4m
Ellen’s Vegan Stuffed Peppers Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Ellen’s Vegan Stuffed Peppers for 4 servings:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup kasha (toasted buckwheat groats)
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large green bell peppers
Ellen’s Vegan Stuffed Peppers Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h 4m
To cook Ellen’s Vegan Stuffed Peppers, you need about 15 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Ellen’s Vegan Stuffed Peppers is about 49 minutes , and you can serve your Ellen’s Vegan Stuffed Peppers within 1 hour 4 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Ellen’s Vegan Stuffed Peppers easily:
- 1 Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion and garlic until onion is almost clear but not browning, about 5 minutes. Add buckwheat; stir until coated, about 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- 2 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 3 Remove tops and seeds from peppers. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add peppers, cover, and steam until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 4 Stand peppers up in a casserole dish and fill them with the buckwheat mixture.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Cilantro can be substituted for the parsley.
- If your bell peppers are small-to-medium, use 6 to 7.
- Add chopped portobello mushrooms, turnips, carrots, other vegetables, and even nuts, as desired, to the buckwheat mix.
Per Serving: 172 calories; 4.6 grams of fat; 30.9 grams of carbohydrates; 5.3 grams of protein; 0 milligrams of cholesterol; 197 milligrams of sodium.