A rich blend of sweet and savory, this fall-off-the-bone, tender pork makes a perfect sandwich whether on a roll or in a tortilla. Great by itself or as a side dish too!
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 6 pounds pork butt roast
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Pour 1 teaspoon olive oil into a slow cooker and arrange sliced onion over oil. Place pork roast over onion.
- 2 Cook on Low until pork is very tender, 8 to 9 hours. Transfer roast to a platter and discard onion and liquid. Shred pork with two forks.
- 3 Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat; cook and stir chopped onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add shredded pork, tomato paste, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt, and black pepper; stir well. Cover and simmer until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Calories 439.3
- Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 97.2 mg
- Fat 32 g
- Fiber 0.7 g
- Protein 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Sodium 2148.3 mg
- Sugar 12.1 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.