This does sound kind of crazy and to be honest, when I first tried it, I didn’t think it would work, but oh, does it work well. It’s one of the best French toasts I’ve ever had, especially with the spiced honey syrup we’re going to serve it with, which was just an absolute perfect pairing.
- 4 (1 inch thick) slices stale French bread
- 4 ounces feta cheese, sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons white sugar
- ⅓ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 Place stale bread in a shallow dish just large enough to tightly fit the slices in one layer.
- 2 Whisk eggs, salt, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cayenne, and heavy cream for batter together in a bowl and pour over bread slices. Use tongs to toss to coat evenly. If there's excess batter pooling at the bottom of the dish, spoon it over the top of the bread slices.
- 3 Wrap and refrigerate until bread has absorbed all the batter or is fully saturated, 2 to 12 hours.
- 4 To make the honey syrup, combine honey, water, chili flakes, and salt in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir and bring to a simmer, then cook for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and reserve until needed.
- 5 Remove bread from the refrigerator and press sliced feta into the top of each piece; about 2 tablespoons feta should almost cover the surface of each piece.
- 6 Heat butter and olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place in the bread, cheese-side down. Cook until the cheese has caramelized and the surface is well browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the slices over, reduce heat to medium, and cook the other side until golden brown.
- 7 Serve immediately with the honey syrup spooned over top.
- Calories 952.5
- Carbohydrate 99 g
- Cholesterol 321.3 mg
- Fat 51.9 g
- Fiber 2.9 g
- Protein 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 27.9 g
- Sodium 1811.9 mg
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.