- Published Aug 14th
- Ready In2h 20m
A very delicious Finnish flatbread made with wheat and rye flours. Cream of rye cereal can be used in place of the rye flour if coarse ground is not available. This recipe makes 4 to 5 flatbreads.
Finnish-American Flatbread Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Finnish-American Flatbread for 12 servings:
- 4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup coarse whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup coarse whole rye flour
- 8 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Finnish-American Flatbread Cooking Instructions
- Ready In2h 20m
To cook Finnish-American Flatbread, you need about 2 hours of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Finnish-American Flatbread is about 20 minutes , and you can serve your Finnish-American Flatbread within 2 hours 20 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Finnish-American Flatbread easily:
- 1 In a large bowl, stir together the warm water and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 2 Stir in the salt, whole wheat flour and rye flour. Mix in the bread flour 1 cup at a time until the dough is not sticky. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat. Set aside to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 3 Punch down the dough and divide into 4 or 5 portions. Form each one into a ball, and let rise again until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 4 Place each ball onto a baking sheet and flatten out into an oval 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Poke holes all over using the tines of a fork. Let rise again until doubled, 20 to 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 5 Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until browned on the top and bottom. Brush the tops with butter while still warm.
Per Serving: 404 calories; 3.8 grams of fat; 78.2 grams of carbohydrates; 13.2 grams of protein; 5 milligrams of cholesterol; 406 milligrams of sodium.