- Published Apr 4th
- Ready In6h 15m
French Onion Soup with Homemade Beef Stock Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious French Onion Soup with Homemade Beef Stock for 4 servings:
- 12 cups water
- 1 pound beef short ribs
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 3 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 larges onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- ¼ cup flour, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or to taste
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco(R)), or to taste
- 4 thick slices French bread
- basil and garlic-flavored olive oil for brushing
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
French Onion Soup with Homemade Beef Stock Cooking Instructions
- Cook6h 15m
- Ready In6h 15m
The time needed to cook this French Onion Soup with Homemade Beef Stock is about 6 hours 15 minutes , and you can serve your French Onion Soup with Homemade Beef Stock within 6 hours 15 minutes . The following are the steps to cook French Onion Soup with Homemade Beef Stock easily:
- 1 Place the water, beef ribs, parsnips, onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme into a large soup pot over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, skimming and discarding the foam that forms on the top of the broth, until the broth is a rich brown color, 5 to 6 hours. Broth may be made in a slow cooker. Strain the broth, discard the ribs and vegetables, and refrigerate extra broth.
- 2 Melt butter in a large heavy skillet or cast iron pan over medium-low heat, and cook the onions and garlic until caramelized and brown, about 30 minutes. Mix flour, herbes de Provence, paprika, and garlic powder together in a bowl, and sprinkle the flour mixture over the browned onions. Cook and stir 5 minutes; add salt and black pepper to taste, and mix in parsley and 1 more teaspoon of thyme.
- 3 Pour in 4 cups of beef broth, white wine, sherry, and hot pepper sauce; simmer until the flavors have blended and the soup has thickened, at least 15 minutes. More time couldn't hurt.
- 4 About 15 minutes before serving time, preheat oven's broiler, and place a rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- 5 Brush the slices of French bread with flavored olive oil, and toast under the preheated broiler until well browned on each side, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Ladle soup into ovenproof soup bowls, and place a toasted bread slice on top of each bowl. Sprinkle each bread slice evenly with Gruyere cheese.
- 6 Place the filled soup bowls under the broiler until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and browned, 2 to 4 minutes or as needed.
Per Serving: 865 calories; 82.5 g of carbohydrate; 136 mg of cholesterol; 40.7 g of fat; 13.5 g of fiber; 42.1 g of protein; 21.9 g of saturatedFat; 1320 mg of sodium; 22 g of sugar;