I got a similar recipe to this out of my local newspaper a long time ago. I’ve tweaked the recipe quite a bit over the years to suit our tastes. I hope this tortellini soup suits your family as well. Enjoy!
- 1 pound mild sausage, removed from casings
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 pound frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, or as needed
- 1 Heat a large pot over medium-low heat. Cook sausage and onion until onion is soft and translucent, breaking up sausage as it cooks, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
- 2 Pour all chicken broth into the pot and bring to a boil, about 5 minutes. Add tortellini and cook 5 minutes more. Add tomatoes with juice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer soup for 10 minutes.
- 3 Stir spinach into soup; it will look like too much, but it will wilt quickly. Add basil and red pepper flakes and simmer 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4 Pass Parmesan cheese at the table when you serve the soup.
- Calories 371.3
- Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Cholesterol 55.2 mg
- Fat 17.6 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Protein 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Sodium 1656 mg
- Sugar 4.6 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.