Nothing smells better than home-baked bread–this is a hearty bread, great with mustard, corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut.
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ¼ cups rye flour
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 2 In a large bowl combine milk, sugar, and salt. Use a mixer to beat in molasses, butter, yeast mixture, and 1 cup of rye flour.
- 3 Use a wooden spoon to mix in the remaining rye flour. Add white flour by stirring until the dough is stiff enough to knead.
- 4 Knead 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as needed. If the dough sticks to your hands or the board add more flour.
- 5 Cover dough and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until double.
- 6 Punch down dough and divide to form two round loaves. Let loaves rise on a greased baking sheet until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 7 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Calories 143.9
- Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Fat 1.7 g
- Fiber 2.5 g
- Protein 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Sodium 113.5 mg
- Sugar 5.7 g