This sweet and crunchy salad is very kid friendly! I first tried this when I visited my family in Newfoundland, and managed to get a copy of the recipe. Make lots, there won’t be any left over. Any kind of lettuce can be used as well as spinach. Raisins can also be added.
- 1 onion, minced
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 5 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 Place the onion, sugar, mustard, celery seed, and black pepper into a small bowl. Pour in the vinegar, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is thick. Cover, and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- 2 To make the salad, toss the lettuce, oranges, mushrooms, almonds, and bacon together in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing, and toss again to coat.
- Calories 332.5
- Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Fat 21.2 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Protein 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Sodium 120 mg
- Sugar 29.9 g