Gluten-free version of everybody’s favorite. The method and ingredient ratios were suggested to me by members of this site, then tweaked by me. I have tested this a few times and these ingredients are optimal for a simple batter which allow the flavor of the vegetables and chicken to shine through. My whole family enjoyed it, even those who aren’t gluten-intolerant.
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 ¾ cups gluten-free all purpose baking flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup gluten-free beer
- ½ cup sparkling water
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Dry sliced bell pepper, onion, and zucchini on a paper towel.
- 2 Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl; add beer and sparkling water. Stir until batter just combined.
- 3 Working in batches, dip bell pepper, onion, and zucchini slices into batter, draining excess; fry in preheated oil until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer vegetables to a plate lined with paper towels.
- 4 Dip chicken breasts into remaining batter and fry in oil until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Calories 635.4
- Carbohydrate 84.2 g
- Cholesterol 64.6 mg
- Fat 21.6 g
- Fiber 11.2 g
- Protein 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Sodium 1747 mg
- Sugar 6.3 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.