Try this recipe for a spicy, flavorful alternative to the typical sausage and egg breakfast casserole. It is gluten free, too!
- 1 teaspoon oil, or as needed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound chorizo sausage
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- 2 Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add oil, onion, and bell pepper. Cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3 Heat a second skillet over medium-high heat and cook chorizo until browned on the outside, about 5 minutes. Continue cooking, chopping chorizo with a spatula, until it becomes loose like ground meat, about 5 minutes more. Drain and discard grease. Set aside.
- 4 Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Stir in 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, cooked onion mixture, chorizo, and hash brown potatoes. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate overnight.
- 5 Remove casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes ahead of time. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 6 Bake covered casserole in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese on top. Return to the oven and bake until a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes more.
- Calories 351
- Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 165.4 mg
- Fat 27.2 g
- Fiber 0.9 g
- Protein 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Sodium 667.5 mg
- Sugar 3 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.