This is one of those soup dishes ideal for warming the soul during a winter day. This is similar to an Italian wedding soup but creamy with meatballs and potato gnocchi. I make my own chicken stock and meatballs but you can use store-bought.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- 4 (32 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 cups thinly sliced escarole
- 2 (17.5 ounce) packages potato gnocchi
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or Italian parsley
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or more as needed for serving
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat and saute onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken stock, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and bring liquid slowly up to a simmer, about 5 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, prepare the meatballs. Combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, onion powder, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix until well combined. Roll mixture into tiny 1/2-inch meatballs.
- 3 Once the soup is boiling, carefully drop meatballs one by one into the pot. Bring back up to a slow simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Skim off any gray muck that comes to the top with a spoon and discard.
- 4 Add carrots, escarole, and gnocchi and bring soup back to a simmer. Stir in half-and-half, spinach, and herbs. When gnocchi rise to the top, remove from heat.
- 5 Remove bay leaf and serve soup with Parmesan cheese.
- Calories 381.1
- Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 90.5 mg
- Fat 21.6 g
- Fiber 2.4 g
- Protein 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Sodium 634.2 mg
- Sugar 2.6 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.