Known as ‘gnocchi alla sorrentina,’ this classic Italian pasta dish that uses simple ingredients and tastes delicious. Use homemade or store-bought gnocchi.
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ (14.5 ounce) cans passata (crushed tomatoes)
- salt to taste
- 1 (18 ounce) package potato gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) ball fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add passata and salt; simmer over low heat while you prepare the gnocchi.
- 2 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in the boiling water until they float to the top, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- 3 Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- 4 Pour 1 ladle of tomato sauce into the bottom of a baking dish. Add gnocchi, remaining tomato sauce, and Parmesan cheese; toss to combine. Arrange cubes of mozzarella cheese evenly on top.
- 5 Place baking dish in the oven and broil until mozzarella cheese is melted and sauce has slightly reduced, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with basil leaves before serving.
- Calories 744.1
- Carbohydrate 73.2 g
- Cholesterol 87.9 mg
- Fat 39.6 g
- Fiber 10 g
- Protein 30 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Sodium 1100.5 mg
- Sugar 2.1 g