- Published Mar 27th
- Ready In1h 30m
Grandma’s Date-Nut Bread Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Grandma’s Date-Nut Bread for 12 servings:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons butter, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 7 pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Grandma’s Date-Nut Bread Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h 30m
To cook Grandma’s Date-Nut Bread, you need about 20 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Grandma’s Date-Nut Bread is about 50 minutes , and you can serve your Grandma’s Date-Nut Bread within 1 hour 30 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Grandma’s Date-Nut Bread easily:
- 1 Put raisins in a bowl. Pour boiling water over raisins; soak until raisins have flavored the water, about 20 minutes. Drain raisins, reserving the water. Discard raisins.
- 2 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a loaf pan with butter.
- 3 Bring reserved water to a boil in a small saucepan. Measure 3/4 cup boiling water into a bowl. Stir baking soda into water.
- 4 Put dates and prunes in a large bowl. Pour baking powder-water over dates and prunes; add unsalted butter and stir until melted. Stir sugar and vanilla extract into the fruit mixture; let cool to room temperature.
- 5 Stir egg into the fruit mixture to evenly coat. Mix flour and salt together in a small bowl; add to fruit mixture and stir. Fold walnuts into the mixture and pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 65 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cook's Note:
- Pecans can be used in place of walnuts, based on personal preference.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the raisins. The actual amount of the nutritional contribution of the raisins will vary.
Per Serving: 306 calories; 11.6 grams of fat; 49 grams of carbohydrates; 4.6 grams of protein; 27 milligrams of cholesterol; 216 milligrams of sodium.