This is a very delicate onion ring. My Grandmother’s recipe. I have never found any to compare to hers.
- 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced into thick rings
- 1 Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, or deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2 Place the flour in a shallow baking pan, and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk, vinegar, and remaining salt and pepper until frothy.
- 3 Dip the onion rings in the wet ingredients then into the flour mixture until coated. Then dip in the egg white mixture again, and then into the flour again.
- 4 Fry onion rings in the hot oil a few at a time so they are not crowded, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.
- Calories 341.5
- Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Cholesterol 3.3 mg
- Fat 16 g
- Fiber 2.6 g
- Protein 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Sodium 823.7 mg
- Sugar 5.3 g