A seasonal side dish or appetizer with fresh oysters and fennel.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, ground
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fennel greens
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 24 unopened, fresh, live medium oysters
- 1 Prepare and light a grill or preheat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- 2 In a small bowl, blend together the butter, ground fennel seeds, shallots, fennel bulb, fennel greens, pepper and salt.
- 3 Arrange the oysters on the grill or oven rack, cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until they start hissing and begin to open.
- 4 Using an oyster knife, pry each oyster open at the hinge, loosen the oyster and discard the flat shell. Top each oyster with 1/2 teaspoon of the fennel butter. Return to grill and cook until butter is melted and hot.
- Calories 77.3
- Carbohydrate 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 24.3 mg
- Fat 7.8 g
- Fiber 0.1 g
- Protein 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Sodium 109.7 mg
- Sugar 0.2 g