- Published Nov 25th
- Ready In14h 30m
Ham and Beans and More Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Ham and Beans and More for 8 servings:
- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks (bulb only), cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound cooked ham, cut into bite-size pieces
- 5 slices bacon
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper to taste
Ham and Beans and More Cooking Instructions
- Ready In14h 30m
To cook Ham and Beans and More, you need about 30 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Ham and Beans and More is about 6 hours , and you can serve your Ham and Beans and More within 14 hours 30 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Ham and Beans and More easily:
- 1 Place the beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse before using.
- 2 Combine the soaked beans, 4 cups of water, celery, onion, bay leaves, cumin, garlic powder, and parsley into a slow cooker.
- 3 Melt the butter with the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir the leeks in the butter mixture until tender and the smaller pieces start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the leeks to the slow cooker. In the same pan, cook and stir the ham until the edges start to brown; stir into the soup. Place the bacon into the hot skillet, and pan-fry until the bacon is crisp, about 10 minutes. Cut the bacon into bite-size pieces and stir into the soup. Pour the chicken stock into the hot skillet, and stir to dissolve any brown flavor bits from the skillet; pour the chicken stock into the soup. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- 4 Set the cooker to Low cook the soup until the beans are very tender, 6 to 8 hours. Roughly mash about half the beans with a potato masher to thicken the soup.
- Cook's Note
- Feel free to play with the seasoning amounts to fit your personal choice. Of course, it can be cooked on the stove top for a shorter period of time. I find that the little extra effort of stir-frying the leeks, ham, and bacon brings a richness to this dish and is more than worth it.
- Partner Tip
- Try using a Reynolds® slow cooker liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 459 calories; 22.3 grams of fat; 39.9 grams of carbohydrates; 25.5 grams of protein; 47 milligrams of cholesterol; 945 milligrams of sodium.