An easy recipe for hard candy. The hardest part is waiting for the sugar to reach the proper temperature. Be patient and use a candy thermometer for perfect candy. This recipe can easily be adjusted by using different flavored extracts and food colorings.
- 3 ¾ cups white sugar
- 1 ½ cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange, or other flavored extract
- ½ teaspoon food coloring
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
- 1 In a medium saucepan, stir together the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. Without stirring, heat to 300 to 310 degrees F (149 to 154 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads.
- 2 Remove from heat and stir in flavored extract and food coloring, if desired. Pour onto a greased cookie sheet, and dust the top with confectioners' sugar. Let cool, and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
- Calories 123.6
- Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Sodium 8.5 mg
- Sugar 25.3 g