Upgrade your grilled cheese with Halloumi. Then add the heat with North African harissa. You could also grill these on an indoor grill pan over medium heat.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons harissa sauce, or more to taste
- 8 (1/4 inch thick) slices eggplant
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 8 ounces halloumi cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 8 slices multigrain seeded sandwich bread
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion; cook until very tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a separate skillet. Stir in harissa sauce.
- 2 Brush both sides of eggplant slices with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Add 1/2 of the eggplant slices to the skillet. Cook until browned and tender, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining slices; keep warm.
- 3 Sprinkle Halloumi with remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Add 1/2 of the Halloumi to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining slices.
- 4 Layer eggplant slices, bell pepper mixture, and Halloumi on 4 bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- 5 Transfer 2 sandwiches to the large skillet; cover sandwiches with a plate weighted with cans of food. Cook until heated through and toasted, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Calories 557.9
- Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Cholesterol 73.1 mg
- Fat 38.6 g
- Fiber 8.4 g
- Protein 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Sodium 1113.5 mg
- Sugar 7.9 g