For a healthier version of juicy roasted chicken, we use butter instead of margarine, omit powder seasoning, and include vegetables in the roasting process.
- 1 ¼ pounds winter squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, split lengthwise
- ½ pound carrots, split lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- ½ cup butter, divided
- 1 stalk celery, leaves removed
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C).
- 2 Toss squash, potatoes, carrots, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a roasting pan. Spread into a single layer and place a V-rack on top. Season chicken generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Place 1 tablespoon butter in the chicken cavity. Arrange dollops of remaining butter between skin and flesh of breast meat. Cut celery into 3 or 4 pieces and place in cavity of chicken.
- 3 Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn heat down to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and continue baking until no longer pink at the bone and juices run clear, about 30 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove the chicken from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Calories 567.8
- Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 137.7 mg
- Fat 37.2 g
- Fiber 4.2 g
- Protein 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Sodium 267.8 mg
- Sugar 4.6 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.