For pasta primavera made easy, try this recipe packed with vegetables including asparagus, mushrooms, yellow squash, and cherry tomatoes.
- 2 cups whole grain penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Lemon wedges
- 1 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, heat oil in an extra-large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add asparagus, mushrooms, and squash; cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, carrot, garlic, oregano, black pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes; cook until tomatoes begin to soften, about 1 minute.
- 3 Drain penne; stir into vegetable mixture along with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Top servings with remaining cheese and serve with lemon wedges.
- Calories 280.7
- Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Fat 7.7 g
- Fiber 8.2 g
- Protein 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Sodium 337.6 mg
- Sugar 4.9 g