This is a fun Valentine’s recipe to make with your child. My daughter loved helping and cutting out the dough into hearts.
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups warm water
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup light cream cheese, softened
- 1 Combine white whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and salt together in the bowl of a stand mixer; make a well in the center of flour mixture.
- 2 Mix water, olive oil, and honey together in a separate bowl; sprinkle yeast over water mixture. Let stand without stirring until yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 10 minutes.
- 3 Pour yeast mixture into well of the flour mixture; mix on low setting using paddle beater until combined, 2 to 3 minutes. Replace paddle beater with dough hook and beat dough on low setting for 10 minutes.
- 4 Spray the inside of a large bowl with cooking spray.
- 5 Transfer dough to the prepared bowl; cover bowl with a towel and let rise in a warm area at least 30 minutes (1 hour for better texture).
- 6 Divide dough into two balls; knead each by hand for about 1 minute.
- 7 Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- 8 Roll each dough ball out with a rolling pin onto the prepared baking sheets about 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough into an even number of hearts using heart-shaped cookie cutters.
- 9 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 10 Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl; cook on high in microwave until slightly tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 11 Mix cooked broccoli, chicken, and cream cheese together in a bowl. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons filling into the center of a heart; top with another heart. Seal edges together by pressing around the heart with a fork. Repeat with remaining filling and hearts.
- 12 Bake in the preheated oven until hearts are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Calories 272.3
- Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Cholesterol 24.8 mg
- Fat 11.8 g
- Fiber 4.3 g
- Protein 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Sodium 419 mg
- Sugar 3.6 g