Great in fall and winter, this delicious, hearty, full-flavored soup is teeming with tasty ingredients… tomatoes, chicken, vegetables, and a healthy body of rice. This is a family-favorite that I threw together. The full aroma will bring them in from outside before it’s even done. Garnish with shredded Cheddar or mozzarella if desired.
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans water
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons salt-free vegetable seasoning, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 (8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups water, or more as needed
- 1 ½ cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 Combine chicken broth, condensed soup, 2 cans water, diced tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon vegetable seasoning in an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat; bring to a slow, rolling boil.
- 2 Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, onion, and remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable seasoning and cook until onion is translucent and chicken is cooked through, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic salt, salt, and pepper.
- 3 Transfer chicken mixture to the stockpot and bring to a rolling boil. Cook, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.
- 4 While the soup is cooking, bring 1 1/2 cups water and rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and water has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 5 Add rice to the soup and continue to simmer, adding more water to reach desired consistency, for 1 hour.
- Calories 249.7
- Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Fat 5.4 g
- Fiber 1.8 g
- Protein 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Sodium 1735.8 mg