Warm, hearty lentil soup, don’t forget the bread to soak up the leftover sauce at the bottom of your bowl.
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped, or to taste
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Place lentils in a pot with water to cover; bring to a boil. Drain, reserving water.
- 2 Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add celery and carrots; cook and stir until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add the partially cooked lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, cinnamon, salt, and pepper; cover with water and bring soup to a boil.
- 3 Reduce heat to low; partially cover and let simmer until liquid is almost gone, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Calories 165
- Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Fat 3.9 g
- Fiber 5.6 g
- Protein 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Sodium 162.5 mg
- Sugar 3.8 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.