You can change the recipe to suit your tastes; use your favorite jarred sauce if you don’t have any homemade, or use your own family’s meatball recipe!
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 ⅓ quarts water, divided
- ⅓ cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons Italian bread crumbs
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- 1 Place lentils in a pot with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2 Bring rice and 1 1/3 cup water to boil in a pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3 Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. In a bowl, combine the ground beef, beaten egg, garlic, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, parsley, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Form ground beef mixture into 1 inch balls. Place meatballs in skillet and cook 5 minutes or until evenly brown.
- 4 In a large pot, bring the tomato sauce and 4 cups water to a boil. Transfer the browned meatballs to the pot. Mix in cooked lentils and rice. Return to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese to serve.
- Calories 323.6
- Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Cholesterol 60.9 mg
- Fat 11.9 g
- Fiber 6.8 g
- Protein 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Sodium 786.6 mg
- Sugar 6.2 g