Lentil soup flavored with sausage and herbs. A good hearty soup for a cold winter day.
- ½ pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 cups water
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups diced cabbage
- 1 Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Break sausage into chunks and put in the pot; cook and stir until completely browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 2 Transfer cooked sausage to a slow cooker. Add water, chicken broth, tomatoes, lentils, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Season mixture with garlic powder, parsley, oregano, pepper, basil, rosemary, and salt.
- 3 Cook on Low until lentils are tender, about 4 hours.
- 4 Stir cabbage into the soup; continue cooking until the cabbage is softened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Calories 257.9
- Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Fat 5.6 g
- Fiber 15.6 g
- Protein 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Sodium 697.5 mg
- Sugar 5.2 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.