The Chinese, who know a thing or two about roasting sweet glazed meats and poultry, were the inspiration for this recipe’s five-spice rub and glossy glaze.
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 16 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 Combine five-spice powder, paprika, salt, garlic, pepper, and mustard in a bowl. Rub over both sides of chicken.
- 2 Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and five-spice powder in a bowl to create the glaze.
- 3 Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- 4 Grill chicken, covered, turning once, until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Continue cooking, covered and turning and brushing with the glaze every 5 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in the middle, an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Calories 222.7
- Carbohydrate 11 g
- Cholesterol 70.8 mg
- Fat 10.6 g
- Fiber 0.6 g
- Protein 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Sodium 1267.5 mg
- Sugar 6.6 g