Published Oct 16th
Prep 10m Cook 5h Additional - Ready In 5h 10m
Servings 1 (12 pound) turkey Calories 545.2
A simple, down to basics recipe when it comes to the good old tom turkey.
- 1 (12 pound) whole turkey
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse and wash turkey. Discard the giblets, or add to pan if they are anyone's favorites.
- 2 Place turkey in a Dutch oven or roasting pan. Separate the skin over the breast to make little pockets. Put 3 tablespoons of the butter on both sides between the skin and breast meat. This makes for very juicy breast meat.
- 3 In a medium bowl, combine the water with the bouillon. Sprinkle in the parsley and minced onion. Pour over the top of the turkey. Sprinkle seasoning salt over the turkey.
- 4 Cover with foil, and bake in the preheated oven 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). For the last 45 minutes or so, remove the foil so the turkey will brown nicely.
- Calories 545.2
- Carbohydrate 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 209.8 mg
- Fat 27.9 g
- Fiber 0.1 g
- Protein 68.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Sodium 560 mg
- Sugar 0.2 g