- Published Aug 29th
- Ready In3h 45m
Honey Smoked Turkey Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Honey Smoked Turkey for 16 servings:
- 1 (12 pound) whole turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons celery salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (12 ounce) jar honey
- 1/2 pound mesquite wood chips
Honey Smoked Turkey Cooking Instructions
- Cook3h 15m
- Ready In3h 45m
To cook Honey Smoked Turkey, you need about 30 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Honey Smoked Turkey is about 3 hours 15 minutes , and you can serve your Honey Smoked Turkey within 3 hours 45 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Honey Smoked Turkey easily:
- 1 Preheat grill for high heat. If you are using a charcoal grill, use about twice the normal amount of charcoal. Soak wood chips in a pan of water, and set next to the grill.
- 2 Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Rinse the bird and pat dry. Place in a large disposable roasting pan.
- 3 In a medium bowl, mix together sage, ground black pepper, celery salt, basil, and vegetable oil. Pour mixture evenly over the turkey. Turn the turkey breast side down in the pan, and tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- 4 Place the roasting pan on the preheated grill. Throw a handful of the wood chips onto the coals. Close the lid, and cook for 1 hour.
- 5 Throw about 2 more handfuls of soaked wood chips on the fire. Drizzle 1/2 the honey over the bird, and replace the foil. Close the lid of the grill, and continue cooking 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) in the thickest part of the thigh.
- 6 Uncover turkey, and carefully turn it breast side up in the roasting pan. Baste with remaining honey. Leave the turkey uncovered, and cook 15 minutes. The cooked honey will be very dark.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 647 calories; 28.8 grams of fat; 25.3 grams of carbohydrates; 68.9 grams of protein; 228 milligrams of cholesterol; 776 milligrams of sodium.