- Published Jul 7th
- Ready In5h 35m
Huli Huli Pineapple Chicken Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Huli Huli Pineapple Chicken for 12 servings:
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shoyu (Japanese soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 drops liquid smoke, or more to taste (optional)
- 3 (3 1/2) pound fryer chickens, quartered
Huli Huli Pineapple Chicken Cooking Instructions
- Ready In5h 35m
To cook Huli Huli Pineapple Chicken, you need about 15 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Huli Huli Pineapple Chicken is about 50 minutes , and you can serve your Huli Huli Pineapple Chicken within 5 hours 35 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Huli Huli Pineapple Chicken easily:
- 1 Stir pineapple, brown sugar, shoyu, ketchup, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, garlic, and liquid smoke together in a pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced and thickened, about 30 minutes. Cool completely. Transfer 1 1/2 cups sauce to a bowl and refrigerate.
- 2 Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour remaining sauce over the top; toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator, 4 hours to overnight.
- 3 Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- 4 Remove chicken from marinade; discard used marinade.
- 5 Cook chicken on the preheated grill until caramelized, about 5 minutes per side. Reduce heat to low and cook, turning and basting frequently with reserved 1 1/2 cups pineapple sauce, until no longer pink at the bone and juices run clear, 10 to 15 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Cook's Notes:
- Add or subtract ketchup, shoyu (soy), Worcestershire, ginger, garlic and/or brown sugar to taste.
- For added flair, skewer chunks of marinated chicken and pineapple wedges and cook on the grill until cooked through.
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the marinade ingredients. The actual amount of the marinade consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 611 calories; 30.1 grams of fat; 20.3 grams of carbohydrates; 60.9 grams of protein; 239 milligrams of cholesterol; 911 milligrams of sodium.