I created this recipe many years ago for my hubby who does not like the traditional sour cream sauce on his chicken enchiladas. It’s been a hit with family and friends ever since. Now with our Instant Pot® it’s been improved and made better than ever! For a different take on chicken enchiladas that will make everyone happy, give this one a try!
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, or more to taste
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 (10 ounce) cans green enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped, or more to taste
- olive oil
- 16 corn tortillas, or more to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 Mix chili powder, salt, and cumin together in a bowl. Rub mixture over the chicken.
- 2 Pour chicken broth into a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®). Add a rack to the bottom of the pot and place seasoned chicken on top. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 5 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- 3 Combine 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, 1 can green enchilada sauce, green chiles, onions, and jalapenos in a large mixing bowl. Stir to thoroughly blend.
- 4 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking dish.
- 5 Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions for 5 minutes. Release remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- 6 Transfer cooked chicken to a cutting board and shred or chop into small pieces. Add to the mixing bowl with the cheese mixture. Stir until chicken mixture is blended.
- 7 Heat olive oil in a skillet. Soften tortillas 1 at a time by dipping into the hot oil for 2 to 3 seconds per side. Drain on paper towels.
- 8 Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken mixture onto a tortilla, roll up, and place seam-side down into the prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and mixture.
- 9 Combine 1 can green enchilada sauce and red enchilada sauce in a bowl and pour over enchiladas in the baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese on top.
- 10 Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Calories 222.3
- Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 43.3 mg
- Fat 10.2 g
- Fiber 2.5 g
- Protein 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Sodium 548.6 mg
- Sugar 1.2 g