Quick, hearty, and fuss-free vegan split pea soup that is full of flavor and on your table in no time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound dried split peas
- 1 pound red potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Add olive oil and onion. Cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Cancel Saute function.
- 2 Add split peas, potatoes, carrots, liquid smoke, thyme, pepper flakes, bay leaf, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Pour in vegetable broth and mix to combine. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 12 minutes. Allow 20 minutes for pressure to build.
- 3 Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 10 minutes. Remove lid, stir, adjust salt and pepper to taste, and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Calories 392.4
- Carbohydrate 66.9 g
- Fat 5.3 g
- Fiber 22.6 g
- Protein 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Sodium 491 mg
- Sugar 11.6 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.