Published Feb 21st
Prep 10m Cook 20m Additional - Ready In 30m
Servings 4 servings Calories 135.2
These crispy, crusty, delicious potato pancakes are nothing more than cold instant mashed potatoes shaped into patties and browned in butter. A sprinkle of chives adds color and flavor.
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup dry potato flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup sour cream for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, divided
- 1 Whisk together water, egg and salt in a large bowl until salt has dissolved. Stir in dry potato flakes until incorporated. Stir in 1 tablespoon of chopped chives; season with black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- 2 Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl the pan to combine.
- 3 Divide potato mixture into four equal portions and shape into pancakes. Place the pancakes in the pan and reduce heat to medium. Cook until a well-browned crust has formed onto the bottom of the pancakes, about 10 minutes. Flip each pancake and flatten slightly. Cook until other sides are browned, 7 to 8 more minutes.
- 4 Transfer to plate; top each pancake with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle each with 3/4 teaspoon chives.
- Calories 135.2
- Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 54.9 mg
- Fat 10.5 g
- Fiber 0.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Sodium 345.5 mg
- Sugar 0.4 g