I use this terrific, nourishing soup as a filling weeknight supper. Use any combination of onions you like, making it great all year long: yellow onions, red onions, leeks, shallots, cipolline, even green onions. And when it is cold outside, I caramelize the onions longer for deeper flavor.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions
- ¼ teaspoon gray salt or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- ¼ cup Progresso® balsamic vinegar
- 1 (32 ounce) carton Progresso® beef broth
- 4 (3/4 inch thick) slices Italian country bread
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 In 12- to 14-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until garlic begins to brown. Stir in onions and salt. Cook about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Cook about 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown.
- 2 Stir in sage and vinegar. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated. Stir in broth. Simmer over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Meanwhile, set oven control to broil. Sprinkle bread with cheese; place on cookie sheet. Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat until cheese is melted (watch carefully). Place 1 slice of bread on each serving of soup.
- Calories 348.8
- Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Cholesterol 18.1 mg
- Fat 12.8 g
- Fiber 4.1 g
- Protein 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Sodium 1317.3 mg
- Sugar 11.5 g