Red lentils and brown rice make for a thick vegetarian soup that’s full of fiber, filling you up quickly. I came up with this when I only had a few ingredients to work with while in the mood for lentil soup. Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 ¼ cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, diced tomatoes, red lentils, brown rice, Italian seasoning, celery flakes, white pepper, and marjoram. Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils break down and rice is tender, about 55 minutes.
- 2 Stir balsamic vinegar into the soup just before serving.
- Calories 428
- Carbohydrate 66.4 g
- Fat 9.3 g
- Fiber 12.4 g
- Protein 20 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Sodium 651.4 mg
- Sugar 8.9 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.