- Published Mar 16th
- Ready In7h 5m
Jamaican Plantain Tarts Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Jamaican Plantain Tarts for 25 servings:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons shortening, chilled and diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon ice-cold water
- 3 very ripe (black) plantains
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- white sugar for decoration
Jamaican Plantain Tarts Cooking Instructions
- Ready In7h 5m
To cook Jamaican Plantain Tarts, you need about 25 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Jamaican Plantain Tarts is about 40 minutes , and you can serve your Jamaican Plantain Tarts within 7 hours 5 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Jamaican Plantain Tarts easily:
- 1 Prepare the pastry by combining the flour and salt in a bowl. Rub in the butter and shortening until incorporated, and the mixture takes on a sandy appearance. Combine the egg and water, and stir into the flour mixture until a dough forms, then knead for a few turns to bring the dough together. Wrap well, and chill for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- 2 While dough is chilling, peel plantains and cut into thirds. Place into a small saucepan with a little water. Bring to a simmer and steam until tender, 5 to 10 minutes depending on how ripe your plantains are. Once soft, pour out the water, and mash plantains with sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and red food coloring. Set aside to cool.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4 Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into circles using a 4 or 5-inch round cookie cutter. Spoon a little of the plantain filling into the center of each circle, then fold in half, to form a half-moon shape. Place the tarts on a baking sheet, brush with beaten egg white, and sprinkle with sugar.
- 5 Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Allow tarts to cool to room temperature before serving.
Per Serving: 107 calories; 3.8 grams of fat; 17.1 grams of carbohydrates; 1.7 grams of protein; 12 milligrams of cholesterol; 112 milligrams of sodium.