Published Jun 19th
Prep 30m Cook 20m Additional 1h 5m Ready In 1h 55m
Servings 2 khachapuri Calories 692.2
With a cheese-stuffed crust and an egg baked into the center, this boat-shaped Georgian bread is so fun and versatile, there’s only a matter of time before it’s delivered to every home for pizza night and ordered from every brunch menu the morning after. They take a little finesse but the payoff is well worth it; after all, what more could you want other than cheesy, soft-while-chewy bread dipped in its own bed of runny egg yolk and molten cheese?
- ½ cup warm milk
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 1 ½ teaspoons white sugar
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into 4 pats
- sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 Combine milk, water, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand until yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes. Add olive oil, 2 cups flour, and salt. Mix until a sticky dough comes together.
- 2 Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead for about 3 minutes, adding in remaining flour as needed, until dough is very soft but still workable. Form into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in volume, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 3 Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C). Combine Monterey Jack, mozzarella, and feta cheeses in a bowl. Toss together and refrigerate until needed.
- 4 Punch down dough and turn out onto a floured surface. Flatten slightly and cut in half. Dust a large sheet of parchment paper with flour. Place 1 dough half on top and roll out into a square about 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick, stretching out the corners as needed. Arrange 1/4 of the cheese in 2 rows, 1 to 2 inches from the longest sides. Roll sides up tightly over the cheese, forming a canoe shape around the dough. Pinch and twist ends to seal.
- 5 Cut off excess parchment around the dough; lift dough onto a baking sheet. Repeat shaping and stuffing the other dough half. Fill the canoe with the remaining cheese mixture.
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Form a well in the center of each khachapuri using a spoon; crack an egg inside each well.
- 7 Return to oven and bake until eggs are mostly set, 3 to 4 minutes. Place 2 pats of butter over each filling and sprinkle salt and cayenne on top. Plate khachapuri; tear off one end and use it to stir the butter into the egg.
- Calories 692.2
- Carbohydrate 60.8 g
- Cholesterol 196.9 mg
- Fat 34.3 g
- Fiber 2.3 g
- Protein 34 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Sodium 1983.2 mg
- Sugar 6.2 g