My first attempt at deep-fried fish sticks.
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 1 1/2x4-inch sticks
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups oil for frying, or as needed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Place fish in a bowl and pour in Italian dressing; marinate in the refrigerator, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- 2 Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan.
- 3 Mix flour, cornmeal, paprika, garlic powder, lemon-pepper seasoning, and pepper together in a resealable bag. Pour beaten eggs into a separate resealable bag.
- 4 Remove catfish from the marinade and shake off excess. Discard the remaining marinade. Drop catfish into the bag with eggs and shake to coat. Remove a few catfish at a time from eggs using tongs and transfer to flour mixture; shake to coat.
- 5 Cook catfish, working in batches, in the hot oil until fish float to the top and are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove cooked fish with tongs or a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season fish sticks with salt while still warm.
- Calories 417
- Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Cholesterol 128.6 mg
- Fat 24.9 g
- Fiber 1.7 g
- Protein 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Sodium 1315.3 mg
- Sugar 3.3 g