These small potato stuffed turnovers will have mouths watering before they’re even out of the oven! My great grandmother brought this recipe all the way from Russia and it has been passed down 4 generations. The recipe is Jewish as was my great grandmother. She made them for Hanukkah, but being Christian we make them for Christmas dinner! Time consuming but SO worth it!
- 5 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 1 Place potatoes into a pot with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside if onions are not yet ready.
- 2 While the potatoes are boiling, heat 1/2 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Mix the onions and their oil into the potatoes, and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside while you make the dough.
- 3 In a large bowl, mix together eggs, 1/2 cup of oil, warm water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Gradually mix in flour until the dough is stiff enough to remove from the bowl and knead. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for about 5 minutes. Let rest for a few minutes to relax the dough.
- 4 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet.
- 5 Cut off a piece of dough about the size of an egg. Roll the dough out into a long narrow strip about 3 inches wide. Spread the potato mixture over the dough leaving a 1 inch strip along one of the long sides. Roll the dough around the filling towards the exposed strip, and gently press to seal. If you've done this step correctly, the dough will be shaped like a snake filled with potato filling. Repeat the process with remaining dough and filling.
- 6 Place the potato filled rolls onto the prepared cookie sheet, and cut into 1 inch pieces using a pizza cutter.
- 7 Bake for 30 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until nicely browned.
- Calories 129.3
- Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.8 mg
- Fat 4.9 g
- Fiber 1.5 g
- Protein 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Sodium 54.6 mg
- Sugar 0.8 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.