- Published Mar 7th
- Ready In1h 55m
This is a Lithuanian Ethnic dish. The main ingredient is potatoes. The recipe comes from my fathers grandmother and has been a family favorite for more than 75 years. Serve hot as a main dish with either sour cream or applesauce.
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Kugeli for 8 servings:
- 3/4 pound salt pork, diced
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ground black pepper to taste
Kugeli Cooking Instructions
- Cook1h 30m
- Ready In1h 55m
To cook Kugeli, you need about 25 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Kugeli is about 1 hour 30 minutes , and you can serve your Kugeli within 1 hour 55 minutes . The following are the steps to cook Kugeli easily:
- 1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Oil a 12x15 inch pan with olive oil.
- 2 Place salt pork in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 chopped onion, and continue cooking until onion is tender and lightly browned; set aside.
- 3 Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine potatoes and remaining chopped onions. Fill the bowl of a food processor with the mixture, and 1 egg. Process until smooth, then transfer to a large bowl. Repeat until all has been processed. Season with pepper. Stir in the salt pork mixture. Blend in flour gradually to absorb some moisture, but err on the side of less flour.
- 4 Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 1 hour, or until top is evenly browned.
- Leftovers can be sliced and eaten cold, or fried to golden brown with onions.
Per Serving: 699 calories; 41.8 grams of fat; 66.9 grams of carbohydrates; 14.8 grams of protein; 176 milligrams of cholesterol; 678 milligrams of sodium.