Juicy whole chicken roasted or cooked on a rotisserie. It remains a popular street food in the Philippines. It’s best to give it time to marinate so that the flavors meld together. Serve it with Nina’s Lechon Sauce.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup calamansi juice
- ¼ cup fish sauce (patis)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 lemongrass stalks, or more to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Combine onion, garlic, calamansi juice, fish sauce, salt, black pepper, and brown sugar in a bowl to make marinade.
- 2 Place chicken in a roasting pan. Rub marinade over chicken, including inside the cavity. Let chicken marinate in the refrigerator, about 4 hours. Reserve leftover marinade in the bowl.
- 3 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 4 Trim lemongrass, discarding tough outer stalks. Pound inner stalks with a heavy object until bruised. Place lemongrass and bay leaves inside the chicken cavity.
- 5 Stir oil into the leftover marinade in the bowl.
- 6 Roast chicken in the preheated oven, basting with the oil mixture from time to time, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), 60 to 90 minutes.
- 7 Remove chicken from the oven and allow to rest in a warm area for 15 minutes before serving.
- Calories 319.3
- Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 113.6 mg
- Fat 11.9 g
- Fiber 0.9 g
- Protein 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Sodium 1231.3 mg
- Sugar 3.3 g