Whether you make this meatless or not, or you serve it as a main course or a holiday side dish, you’ll love this loaded butternut squash dish. It’s extremely flavorful as well as rich and decadent, but not overly so. Buttery, nutty Gruyere cheese works so well with butternut squash, and a bit of Dijon mustard balances the sweetness and richness of this dish. Pair it with a salad to give a temperature and texture contrast.
- 1 (3 pound) butternut squash
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions, plus more for garnish
- 10 ounces diced smoked ham
- 6 ounces Cheese, gruyere
- 2 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- 2 Slowly and carefully cut butternut squash in half lengthwise, starting at the stem end. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Slice off about 1/8 inch from the bottom of each half to ensure they lay flat while baking. Transfer onto the prepared baking sheet.
- 3 Place in the center of the preheated oven and roast until tender but not falling apart, 60 to 90 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Increase oven temperature to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
- 4 Use a spoon to scoop squash into a bowl, leaving about 1/2 inch attached to the skin so it won't collapse and fall apart later.
- 5 Add salt, pepper, Dijon mustard, and egg to squash. Mix and mash with a spoon until smooth, or leave it a bit chunky, if desired. Stir in 1/4 cup green onions, ham, and diced Gruyere cheese; mix until combined.
- 6 Scoop mixture back into the squash shells, distributing as evenly as possible and top with grated Gruyere.
- 7 Bake in the center of the preheated oven until cheese is browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and top with green onions. Slice and serve.
- Calories 292.8
- Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 74.3 mg
- Fat 16.5 g
- Fiber 3.5 g
- Protein 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Sodium 613.2 mg
- Sugar 4 g
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, RedCipes will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.