- Published Dec 31st
- Ready In1h
Mama’s Hearty Minestrone Ingredients
The following are the ingredients needed to make delicious Mama’s Hearty Minestrone for 8 servings:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water, more if needed
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
Mama’s Hearty Minestrone Cooking Instructions
- Ready In1h
To cook Mama’s Hearty Minestrone, you need about 15 minutes of preparation time. The time needed to cook this Mama’s Hearty Minestrone is about 45 minutes , and you can serve your Mama’s Hearty Minestrone within 1 hour . The following are the steps to cook Mama’s Hearty Minestrone easily:
- 1 Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add ground beef; cook and stir until beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- 2 Transfer ground beef mixture to an 8-quart stockpot; add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and carrots. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until carrots are partially cooked, 10 minutes. Add zucchini, bell pepper, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper; simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 more minutes.
- 3 Stir broccoli and macaroni into soup; simmer until macaroni is cooked through but firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese to serve.
- Cook's Note:
- You really can use any combination of vegetables you'd like besides the carrots and zucchini. Usually celery, spinach, and green beans are also used in minestrone, but I didn't have them when I made this recipe, so I just used broccoli. The best thing about soups is you totally have options!
Per Serving: 237 calories; 11.9 grams of fat; 19.5 grams of carbohydrates; 14.7 grams of protein; 38 milligrams of cholesterol; 736 milligrams of sodium.