I grew up vegetarian and love Mexican food. As a kid, we used to have bean tacos. Inspired by a family friend, and by my maturing taste buds, I created this recipe to liven up my vegetarian taco experience.This is, of course, just the filling, and you can add whatever toppings to your taco that you want. This recipe tends to match better with red taco sauces than with green ones. Extra filling can be reheated later or eaten cold as a mango tofu salsa. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, or more as needed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 serrano chile pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) packages tofu, cut into chunks
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped (stems and leaves separated)
- ¼ (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 mangos, peeled and cut into small chunks
- ¼ (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 pinch chili powder, or to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, or to taste
- 1 Cover the bottom of a skillet with coconut oil; warm over medium heat. Add onion, serrano pepper, and garlic; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add tofu; stir to coat.
- 2 Stir cilantro stems, 1/4 package taco seasoning, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1 teaspoon coriander into tofu mixture; cook and stir until fragrant and tofu is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add mangos and 1/4 package taco seasoning; cook, waiting 3 to 5 minutes before stirring. Add chili powder and salt; stir to coat. Season with more cumin and coriander if desired.
- 3 Simmer tofu-mango mixture until most of liquid has evaporated, about 10 more minutes. Stir in cilantro leaves 1 minute before serving.
- Calories 325.9
- Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Fat 20.6 g
- Fiber 3.6 g
- Protein 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Sodium 325.2 mg
- Sugar 13.9 g