Sweet and salty monkey bread with a delicious twist – bacon! This recipe was created from two existing recipes, with the idea courtesy of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.
- cooking spray
- 1 (12 ounce) package bacon
- ½ cup margarine
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 (16.3 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, separated and cut into quarters
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat the inside of a 9-inch fluted tube pan (such as Bundt®) with cooking spray.
- 2 Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels; crumble and remove extra fat.
- 3 Melt margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir in brown sugar and maple syrup. Bring mixture to a boil; cook and stir until mixture begins to foam, about 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat.
- 4 Mix white sugar and cinnamon in a resealable plastic bag; add 6 to 8 biscuit pieces at a time and shake until well coated. Pour any remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture into brown sugar mixture. Place saucepan over medium heat and cook and stir until sugar dissolves, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5 Sprinkle 1/4 the bacon pieces in the bottom of the tube pan; pour in about 1/4 the brown sugar mixture. Arrange 1 layer of biscuit pieces in the tube pan; sprinkle in 1/4 the bacon pieces. Drizzle about 1/4 the brown sugar mixture over the biscuit pieces. Continue layering until all the ingredients are used, ending with a drizzle of brown sugar mixture.
- 6 Bake in the preheated oven until biscuits are cooked through, about 35 minutes. Allow to cool in pan, 10 to 20 minutes; invert onto a serving plate.
- Calories 373.7
- Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Cholesterol 8.3 mg
- Fat 16.3 g
- Fiber 0.6 g
- Protein 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Sodium 801.1 mg
- Sugar 29.5 g